West African College of Surgeons October 2018 Primary, DA, Parts 1/Membership & II (Final) Fellowship Examinations The October 2018 Fellowship Examinations of the West African College of Surgeons (WACS), in the Faculties of Anaesthesia, Dental Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Ophthalmology, Otorhinolaryngology, Radiology and Surgery, will hold from 10th October to 24th October, 2018.
All candidate application for primary, diploma in Anaesthesia, Parts 1/Membership and II should log on to www.wacscoac.org and follow the step to step procedure for online application.
THE PRIMARY EXAMINATIONS WILL HOLD ON FRIDAY 12TH OCTOBER, 2018 IN EIGHT CENTRES AS FOLLOWS:
1. University College Hospital (UCH), Ibadan, Nigeria
2. National Centre for Women Development (NCWD), Abuja, Nigeria
3. Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital (KBTH), Accra, Ghana
4. National Orthopaedic Hospital (NOH) Main Hall, Enugu, Nigeria
5. Komfo Anokye Teaching hospital kumasi
6. Connaught Hospital, Freetown, Sierra Leone
7. Edward Francis Small Teaching Hospital Banjul, the Gambia
8. The Medical College Campus Auditorium near the St Joseph’s Catholic Hospital Monrovia Liberia
ATTENTION: SURGERY PRIMARY ONLY: Surgery primary examinations shall be by computer based test for Abuja, Acrra, Enugu, Ibadan and kumasi centres (the specific venues will be announced later via the college website)
The Parts I/Membership & part II Examinations will hold from 10th October, 2018 (Obstetrics & Gynaecology) and 11th October, 2018 (Anaesthesia, Diploma in Anaesthesia (DA) and Surgery Membership) while 15th October 2018 (Dental Surgery, Ophthalmology, ORL, Radiology and Surgery) in Two Centres namely:
* University College Hospital (UCH) Ibadan, Nigeria
* Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital (KBTH) Accra, Ghana
ATTENTION: SURGERY MEMBERSHIP ONLY: Membership examination in the faculty of surgery (Accra and Ibadan) shall be in computer based test format and clinical examinations shall be by the OSCE format (the specific venues for the CBT will be announced later via the college website)
* Candidates applying for the Primary Fellowship Examinations must be Medical Practitioners who are fully registered in member countries have acquired at least one year-post-registration experience.
* Candidates must register and pay ONLINE by logging on to www.wacscoac.org where candidate’s passport photograph, Degree Certificate and Evidence of FULL registration with Medical & Dental Council of their countries will be uploaded. Provisional Registration Certificate or Annual practicing License is NOT Acceptable.
* As part of primary registration requirement, candidates are to print the CERTIFICATION page from the website to be endorsed by the supervising Consultant or HOD and UPLOAD the signed Certification page along with other required documents ONLINE. NO DOCUMENT SHOULD BE SUBMITTED TO THE COLLEGE SECRETARIAT.
*Candidates applying to sit for the diploma in anaesthesia should register and pay online by logging on to www.wacscoac.org where the required documents are to be uploaded. Diploma candidates must have completed the requisite twelve months training in Anaesthesia in an accredited institution. Only photocopy of APPROVED LOG BOOK/ PORTFOLIO should be submitted to the college secretariat
* As part of requirements for DA online registration, candidates are to download the certification form, fill it with proper endorsement from the supervising consultant or head of department and upload it on the website
* Candidates applying to sit the Part I/Membership Fellowship Examinations should register and pay ONLINE www.wacscoac.org where the required documents are to be uploaded. Candidates must have passed the primary examination of the West African College of Surgeons or its equivalent and satisfactorily completed appropriate years of Post graduate training as prescribed by the relevant Faculty in the institutions accredited for the purpose by the college. Only the original certificates of Training (COT) form with dates of commencement and completion of training clearly stated and photocopy of APPROVED LOG BOOK should be submitted to the college secretariat except for surgery first time applicants who are to submit originals with a photocopy.
* Altered or defaced COT will not be accepted,www.medicalworldnigeria.com. Submission of photocopies of logbooks (spiral bound) duly certified by their training consultants is compulsory. Surgeon in training registration evidence and attendance certificate of relevant update courses are required.
* As part of requirements for part I/Membership registration online, candidates are to download the authentication form, fill it with proper endorsement with fellows and head of department and upload it on the website
* Candidates applying to sit for part II (final) Fellowship Examinations should register and pay online where the required documents are to be uploaded. Candidates must have passed the Part I/Membership Fellowship Examinations of the West African College of Surgeons and satisfactorily completed appropriate years of Postgraduate training and worked in their specialty for at least Two (2) Years in an Institutions(s) accredited for the purpose by WACS as prescribed by the relevant Faculty. Only the original Certificates of Training (COT) form with dates of commencement and completion of training clearly stated and photocopy of APPROVED LOG BOOK should be submitted to the college secretariat except for surgery first time applicants who are to submit originals with a photocopy
* As part of requirements for part II online registration, candidates are to download the authentication form, fill it with proper endorsement from fellows and head of department and upload it on the website
* Candidates applying to sit surgery part II examination must submit 3 copies of their dessertations and 3 copies of approved proposals separately bound in spiral format and a copy of their resident log book at the time of submission of application for the examination. They should in addition bring their files of the raw result of dissertation with them to the venue of the oral examination. it is the candidates responsibility to retrieve both his or her log book and dissertation at the end of the examination. A copy of the dissertation shall be kept by the college.
*CANDIDATES WHO WISH TO SIT APRIL 2019 PART 11 EXAMINATIONS IN O&G SHOULD SUBMIT CASEBOOKS AND DISSERTATIONS LATEST BY FRIDAY 28TH SEPTEMBER 2018
* All first time applicants for Membership & part II in the Faculty of Surgery should submit the original of their log books along with the photocopies of the Logbooks. Fresh Candidates who submit only the photocopies of their logbooks will be disqualified from the examinations. Each Candidate should collect his/her original logbooks from the College Secretariat one month before examinations and should arrive at the venue of the examinations with the original of their logbooks.
* Candidates applying to sit for dental Surgery must submit Two Copies of their log books while part 11 candidates for ORL and radiology are to submit a photocopy of their log books in a spiral bound format any loose or disorganized logbook will not be examined, three copies of approved proposals and three copies of dissertations before the closing day of applications. Original copies of log books should be brought to the examination venues.
* All Part II candidates must submit online an evidence of attendance of Manuscript Writing Workshop and the Health Management and Ethics Workshop.
* Further details are available in the Prospectus of the College medicalworldnigeria.com
1. Primary Examination – N55,500.00
2. Diploma in Anaesthesia (DA) – N110,000.00
3. Part I/Membership Examination – N160,000.00
4. Part II (Final) Examination – N200,000.00
MODE OF PAYMENT
Payment for all aspects of the examinations should be made online. No payment Teller shall be accepted by the College. Any candidate who refuses to follow this directive shall be disqualified and his/her money forfeited.
DEFERMENT OF EXAMINATION AFTER SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION OR REFUND OF EXAMINATION FEES AFTER PAYMENT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE
The closing date for the online application is July 20th, 2018. Candidates for the Part II (Final) Examinations in Anaesthesia, Dental Surgery, Ophthalmology, ORL, Radiology and Surgery must submit their dissertations by the closing date.
NB: All Application should be submitted online by logging on www.wacscoac.org
Documents to be submitted online
• For Primary Applicants – All documents to be submitted online.
• For DA – All Documents except Logbook that will be sent to the College Secretariat
• For Parts I/Membership & Part II – All documents except Original Certificate of Training (COT) and photocopy of logbook but 1st time applicants for surgery are to submit Original and photocopy of logbooks
* Candidates are advised to carefully populate appropriate fields meant for surname and other names, any confusion that arises from this will not be entertained.
* Candidates should ensure that the same name is used when making offline payment and registration for primary Examination, any disparity between name for off line payment and the one for online registration would lead to candidates’ disqualification.
* Relevant documents such as evidence for change of Name should be uploaded where applicable.
* IT IS MANDATORY THAT CANDIDATES SHOULD CHECK THE COLLEGE WEBSITE FOR THE APPROVED LIST OF ELIGIBLE CANDIDATES A MONTH TO THE EXAMINATIONS
• Copies of Dissertations and approved Proposals – Part II to be submitted to the college.
• Photocopy o f Log Books in spiral bound format (DA, Parts I/Membership & Part II)
• All first time applicants for Parts I/Membership & II Surgery are to submit Original and photocopies of logbooks
• Evidence of attendance at Manuscript Writing workshop (Part II to he submitted online
• Evidence of attendance at Health Management and Ethics Workshop (Part II) to be submitted online
• Evidence of training since passing Primary (Part I/Membership) to be submitted online
• Evidence of training since passing Part I Membership (Part II) to be submitted online
• Evidence of registration as a Surgeon in Training (S.I.T) Part I/Membership candidates only (to be submitted online)
• Exemption Certificate front Primary (Where applicable for Part I/Membership candidates) to be submitted online
• Relevant documents for Change of Name (where applicable) to be submitted online
• Candidates should provide an address which can easily be accessed by courier.
Dr.J.Olutola Olatosi, FWACS
Secretary General WACS