World Kidney Day started in 2006 and has not stopped growing ever since. Every year, the campaign highlights a particular theme. This year theme is Kidneys and Women’s Health.
World Kidney Day is a global awareness campaign aimed at raising awareness of the importance of our kidneys.
World Kidney Day comes back every year. All across the globe many hundred events take place from public screenings in Argentina to Zumba marathons in Malaysia. All these activities are done to create awareness about kidney diseases and treatment: Awareness about preventive behaviors, awareness about risk factors, and awareness about how to live with a kidney disease. We do this because we want kidney health for all.
Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria encourages all Nigerians to use this year World Kidney Day to achieve the following.
1. Raise awareness about our “amazing kidneys”
2. Highlight that diabetes and high blood pressure are key risk factors for Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD).
3. Encourage systematic screening of all patients with diabetes and hypertension for CKD.
4. Encourage preventive behaviours.
5. Stress the important role of local and national health authorities in controlling the CKD epidemic.
6. On World Kidney Day all levels of governments are encouraged to take action and invest in further kidney screening.
7. Encourage Transplantation as a best-outcome option for kidney failure, and the act of organ donation as a life-saving initiative.
The Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria wishes all Nigerians a happy World Kidney Day celebration.
Our commitment to the well-being of all Nigerians remain unshakable.
Pharm. Ahmed I. Yakasai, FPSN, FNIM
President, Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria.